My blog periodically contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase, I might make a small commission at no extra charge to you. Purchases made through them are greatly appreciated.
This homemade play-dough recipe is one of the best that I’ve tried to make…it’s quick to make, super inexpensive (you should have almost all of the ingredients already!), and can last for MONTHS if stored properly.
Cam is getting older so I have been trying to find activities and toys that serve multiple purposes besides occupying him for more than 5 minutes. This homemade play-dough is perfect for that because he can ‘help‘ make it and then he gets to play with it too!
Why this homemade play-dough is awesome?
A few reasons why I LOVE this recipe.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to make.
- Can last for MONTHS if stored properly.
- You can make tons of different colors with food coloring!
- It’s really, really soft and squishy but doesn’t really stick to surfaces.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (you can also use vegetable oil)
- food coloring; completely optional (I like the Wilton gel food coloring, you can purchase it here).
- quart-sized ziplock bags
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Stir together the flour, salt and cream of tartar in a large pot.
- Next up is the oil and water.
- If you’re only making one color, add that in now. If not, just start cooking over medium heat for about two minutes. Stirring continuously until the dough has thickened and begins to form a ball.
- Remove from heat and place on wax paper to cool slightly then knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- If you’re making multiple colors, divide the dough into quart-sized baggies and add your food coloring. I started out with 5 drops but you can add more for a brighter color.
- Knead the dough while inside the baggies, this helps so it doesn’t stain any hands. I let Cam help with this part because it gave him something to do and was fun for him.
- Once it’s all mixed together, that’s it! It’s PLAYTIME!
The ziplock baggies are also perfect for storing your play-dough for up to 3 months!
For some added fun, when you’re adding in the food coloring, you can add in some glitter or sparkles! Who doesn’t love glitter and sparkles, am I right?!
I also gave Cam some cookie cutters, like this set of 100 to play around with and work on numbers, letters.
If you’re looking for more kid-friendly activities come back and check out my post on St. Patrick’s Day Activities for Toddlers that’s coming out!