Who doesn’t love tacos?! Like seriously, we have a taco day every week, it’s a staple recipe in my weekly meal plan. I do try and spice it up a bit by using different meats, filling options, and/or side dishes so it doesn’t get boring.
I have been making a variation of this recipe for MONTHS and it is such a hit each week. We also almost always have leftovers so this meal can last us at least 2 days.
This recipe is so easy and flavorful, my toddler even loves it!
Quick Taco Night Recipe
- 2 Small Bowls
- Large Pan
- Medium Pan
- ¼ TSP Sugar
- 3 TBSP Veggie Oil
- 2 Bell Pepper (I like to use the red and orange oens)
- 1 Red Onion (small)
- 1 Lime
- 1 Jalapeno
- 6 TBSP Sour Cream
- 10 oz Ground Beef (or any ground meat your family prefers)
- ½ cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- ¼ oz Chopped Cilantro
- Flour Tortilla/Hard Shells
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic (to taste; you can use less)
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- I normally start with the rice mixture first, because that will take about 20-25 minutes to complete.
- I start with putting in about 1 TBSP of butter and 1 TBSP minced garlic over mdeium-high heat.
- Once the butter is slightly melted & the garlic is fragrant, I add in the rice mixture & just stir it around for about 30 seconds.
- Next comes the water, I add in the 1 ¼ cups of water and make sure the mixture is combined thourghly. Bring this to a boil, once boiling, bring heat down to low & cover saucepan.
- This will simmer about 20-25 minutes, once done, remove cover & fluff rice with a fork.
- Core and see bell peppers, then thinly slice. I like to make sure they are in bite-sizes pieces.
- Halve, peel & thinly slice the red onion; finely dice the other half.
- Zest ½ TSP zest from the lime, then cut into quarters.
- Halve & thinly slice ½ the jalapeno; finely dice the other ½. TIP: remove the rib & seeds for less heat.
Make Crema/Marinate Jalapeno
- In a small bowl, combine lime zest, sour cream & about 1 tsp. of water. Then squeeze 1 quarter of the lime into bowl. Add salt & pepper to taste; also, if you want a thinner cream, add more water until it reaches the consistency you want.
- In the 2nd bowl, toss together the sliced jalapeno, juice of 1 lime quarter, a pinch of salt sugar to taste. Set aside until later steps.
- Heat a large drizzle of veggie oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add ½ of the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in peppers and cook until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Once peppers have softened, add in sliced onion and cook, tossing around the pan often, until they are tender and lighty charred, about 6-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste & remove from pan, set aside on a paper towel lined plate
- Lower heat under the same pan and add in another drizzle of veggie oil. Once oil is hot (10-20 seconds), add-in the other ½ of the minced garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add-in the diced onion and cook, stirring until softened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in your taco seasoning and diced jalapeno. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Add-in chopped meat choice, breaking it up into pieces. Cook, tossing occasionaly, until meat is browned & cooked through. Season with pletny of salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°, once ready, throw your shells & tortillas onto a sheet pan and place in the oven. Heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sometimes, I throw on some shredded cheese onto these for an extra cheesy taco!
Finish and Serve
- Take your shells/tortillas out of the oven and divide meat, peppers & onions, cheese between shells/tortillas.